Tuesday 21 January 2014

Catching up with different production rolls

Hi all, and happy New Year. Welcome to my first post of 2014. In this post, I am going to talk about the different production rolls I have held in the chapel. I am also going to talk about the roll I held in the XMas factor. I haven't really held any production rolls in the chapel, but I have been observing what goes on behind the scenes. I have also helped mix down a band, which was an interesting experience, as I had to get the right amount of low end frequencies and high end frequencies. I also had to try to get the right amount of each instrument, which proved difficult as they had a lot of instruments. I have observed the audio side of setting up and recording as well, so I can learn how to do thigns the right way, and learn what not to do. In the XMas factor, I helped make the theme music, results music, voiceovers and lots of other elements that made the show more realistic. I used a lot of music tech equipment to do this, including Garage band on OSX, Sound Forge, effects units, and mixing consoles. During the actual show, I was running sound for the live stream, which was an interesting experience, as I got to do live mixing; trying to balance the people who were singing and the keyboard/piano/backing track they were singing with. I had someone telling me the running order, so I could turn up the things I needed to, for example turning up the keyboard when it was needed. I improvised a bit. To make the show sound more realistic, I started to use the microphones that were designated for the piano as crowd microphones, to capture the crowd in its fullest form, rather than just bleed from the other microphones. I loved running the sound for the Xmas factor, as I got to observe what went on behind the scenes e.g. the cameras, and how all of that was done. Thanks for reading, and I’ll be back soon with another update.

No comments:

Post a Comment